Call and make an appointment at 323-463-4889 or leave us your contact information below!

No embed code settings found. Please configure it
  • Blog >
  • Spring and Easter 2017 Pet Safety Tips
RSS Feed

Spring and Easter 2017 Pet Safety Tips

Spring / Easter 2017 Pet Safety Tips
 


We can say that most of us are enjoying the longer day light hours and pleasant weather that spring time brings, but that also may give our furry friends more time to get into mischief!

Here are some of the most important things to keep your pets away from now and most anytime of the year.

Chocolate

Some of us crave chocolate and like to keep some around all year, but now the Easter Bunny is dropping chocolates off everywhere!  Did you know that Easter is typically the top day for chocolate intoxication calls to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center?

Pets have a great sense of smell and they can track down any lost or misplaced piece of chocolate hidden in the house or yard.  Depending on the pet, ingesting even a small to moderate piece of chocolate can make your pet sick.

Lilies and Daylilies

Lilies and daylilies are beautiful in bloom, but can be very toxic to cats.  Enjoy these amazing blooms, but make sure your kitty does not have access to them.  No access even includes fallen petals, pollen and the water the flowers sit in.  Lilies are a concern for acute kidney failure in cats.

Easter Basket Plastic Grass

Easter basket plastic grass doesn’t seem the least bit tasty to us, but pets find it quite appealing.  If eaten, the plastic grass can cause life-threatening gastrointestinal obstruction which can require surgery to resolve.  Remember to remove all decorative items and plastic grass as soon as possible and dispose in a trash container with a lid.

Onions, Garlic, Grapes and Raisins

Who can resist those adorable eyes!  We know how good our food tastes and it seems that our pets sense it, too!  Some common food items like onions, garlic, grapes and raisins will cause either an upset stomach or more serious toxic reactions requiring an emergency trip to the veterinary hospital.  Don’t forget to pick up food on the counter or table and dispose or store them safely.

Herbicides

There are many ways to keep our yard and flowers looking beautiful.  Sometimes that includes using herbicides.  Check with your garden store or read the label of your product carefully to find out if they may be a hazard to your pets.  Remember that pets can absorb these products in many ways other than ingestion.  Keep your pets away from any mist produced while spraying, letting them walk on treated surfaces until safe, chewing on the herbicide bottles (even if empty).

If your pet does ingest or become exposed to a hazardous substance, remember that acting quickly is the most important thing!  Contact your veterinary immediately and if suggested, bring your pet to be examined and treated as soon as possible.  Always bring the container or label or know the exact thing your pet was exposed to and when.

Follow these simple tips and everyone can safely enjoy the beauty of spring!